One of the Ohio Commission Memorial tablets located in Wood county marks the site if a fort or stockade on the right hand bank of the west branch of the Portage river and about a mile south of the present village of Portage. The location is particularly established by an old well walled with stone and some 18 feet deep which was evidently dug within the stockade.
The inscription on the tablet reads: "Portage Stockade. Built in 1812 by General Hull to protect one of his camps on his march from Dayton to Detroit. Garrisoned again in 1813 by order of General Harrison."
The site is about 1000 feet west of the Dixie Highway and in plowing the ground a number of valuable relics including a silver piece of English money have been found. The river here bends sharply to the east and Hullís Trail followed the south bank of the stream fording it northward where the Toledo-Columbus division of the New York Central railroad now bridges the river.
Regarding this post and several others, a general order issued by General Harrison, commander-in-chief of the Northwest army and dated May 11, 1813, two days after the British Proctor abandoned the siege of Fort Meigs, reads as follows:
"Brigadier General Clay of the Kentucky militia (appointed) to the command of the troops in this camp (Fort Meigs) and to the posts of McArthur, Findlay, Portage, and Upper and Lower Sandusky. The commandants of these posts are to report to him."
Again, August 2, 1813, the day of the British and Indian attack against Fort Stephenson (Fremont) and the gallant defense of the post by Colonel Croghan, General Clay commandant at Fort Meigs, in Harrisonís absence, issued another order of much historical importance concerning the posts along Hullís trail, and which would indicate the fear that the Indians, or a detachment of British might have since General Harrisons order of May 11, attacked the garrison and destroyed the Portage blockhouse. Clayís order is as follows:
As no record of an attack at the Portage blockhouse has been discovered, no doubt it was found intact.